You are badly in need of a solution when you see the Apple TV black screen, aren’t you?
You don’t have to worry too much about it, as one of the below solutions can fix it.
Let’s go ahead and learn all those solutions.
8 Solutions to Fix Apple TV Black Screen
In fact, Apple TV’s black screen is not a rare issue. There are many individuals across the globe who experience the same error at least once in a while.
Regardless of the reason, however, you can go through the solutions below and solve them.
Besides, are you interested in learning how to connect Apple TV to WiFi without a remote? Here is the step-by-step guide to setting up Apple TV without a remote.
01. Apple TV Black Screen? Check if It’s Powered On
This can be one of the most common reasons why one can see an Apple TV black screen. Well, let’s assume that you press the “Home” or “Menu” buttons to switch on your Apple TV. In that case, you will see the status light. This light indicates that your TV is provided with power.
But what does it mean if you cannot see the status light? It means the device is not turned on yet. You can check and ensure that the power cable is correctly connected to the wall socket and the TV. If not, you can even try a different power outlet to power your TV.
In addition to that, you can simply keep your Apple TV for about 30 seconds. Then, plug the device back and see if it works. This may fix the “Apple TV black screen” error for many users.
Also, Roku TV’s black screen is not a rare issue at all. If you are experiencing the TCL Roku TV black screen error, here are the top best solutions.
02. Charge the Remote
It is true that the remote of your Apple TV will have a pretty long lifespan. However, at some point, the battery can deplete, and it won’t be able to power your remote anymore. So, you will not be able to operate it until you charge the remote. That means switching on the TV will not be possible for you until you charge it.
When it comes to charging your Apple Remote, you can use a lighting cable for the purpose of charging. If you want to charge it quickly, however, you can connect the cable to a power outlet. It will charge your device faster than using a USB port. So, you should allow the remote to charge for about 30 minutes prior to using it.
When it comes to older devices, they come with BR2032 or CR2023 batteries that are removable. So, all you need is to remove the back panel and replace those dead batteries.
03. Restart Your TV
If the above options are not working, the best approach is to perform a restart. Those who experience an “Apple TV black screen” can try this method without experiencing any difficulty. A restart can fix many malfunctions in the TV. This option will work well to resolve the black screen situation.
Apple TVs don’t come with power buttons. So, they cannot be turned on or off using a physical button. However, you can do the same using the remote.
Mentioned below is how to get it done.
- Turn the TV off if it is not switched on already.
- Then, on your remote, you should look for the option called “Menu” and select “Down.”
- After that, you should press both buttons for about 5 to 10 seconds.
- Then, you can see an indicator light that blinks several times. Just release those buttons to see the light.
- Unplug your TV from its power cord. Then, plug the device in once again.
Beside, learn more about how to fix Apple TV Remote app not working on your iPhone.
04. Check if the HDMI Connection is Fine
Let’s assume that the Apple TV’s status light is illuminated, showing that the device is powered on. What if you still see the black screen? Then, the HDMI cable may need to be checked. Blank screen problems, especially after prolonged use, have been linked to cheap HDMI cables.
What if you’re having trouble getting an Apple TV to display on your TV? In that case, try switching HDMI cables. Also, double-check that they’re plugged directly into the rear of your device and the port on your TV.
Ensure that the channel is set properly and that the HDMI connection is active. Connect your Apple TV with each of the TV’s inputs to see how well they perform.
05. Change Your Video Resolution
It will be a good move to change your video resolution and see what happens. In many cases, this solution works well to fix the black screen issue on your TV.
Mentioned below is how to change the video resolution of your Apple TV and see if it works.
If You Are Using a 4th generation Apple TV:
- Press the Volume Down and Menu buttons at the same time and hold them. Make sure that you hold them for 5 seconds.
If You Are Using a 2nd or 3rd generation Apple TV：
- Press the Volume Up and Menu buttons together and hold them for about 5 seconds.
Now, wait and see. Your TV will change the resolution in 20 seconds. When you notice the most appropriate type of resolution, select “OK.” That will set the resolution. Check if the “Apple TV black screen” issue is gone.
06. Use FixGo
Some users experience Apple TV black screen due to more complex system issues as well. So, if none of the above options have worked, the underlying cause might be serious.
In this case, you can consider a professional tool like FixGo to overcome this issue. Due to various reasons, this can be the best solution to overcome tvOS errors. The success rate of this repair tool is very high.
Mentioned below is how to use FixGo.
- First, you should download FixGo and install it on your Mac or PC. After that, you should open the application to see its main interface.
- When you see the main interface, you can see an option called “Standard Mode” as well.
- You can connect your Apple TV to the same PC. Make sure that you use a good USB cable to do it. Then, select “Fix Now” so the repair will begin.
- The firmware will get installed during this project. All you need is to select “Download” to install the firmware package. Then, FixGo will do the job for you.
- Once the downloading process is completed, you can select “Repair Now.” As a result, FixGo will scan for all the errors in your tvOS very fast. Then, the black screen issue will be eliminated.
07. Update Your tvOS
There’s another method to fix any software-related issues in your system. If you do this, a new update will be installed, and all the bugs will disappear.
If you want to update your tvOS and fix this issue, follow the below instructions.
- Go to the option called “Settings” and select “System.” Then, select “Software Updates/Settings.” After that, select “General” and tap “Software Updates.”
- Select the option called “Update Software.” Then, download the most recent software.
08. Restore the tvOS
In some cases, updates might not be available on your Apple TV due to various reasons. If this is the case, you should restore the OS of your Apple TV.
However, before restoring your tvOS, it is recommended to check its version. If you have a 4K version of Apple TV, you cannot restore it on your own. So, you will have to contact Apple Support and see what they can do.
The other models (HD versions of Apple TV and older models), however, can be restored. You can do it on a system that works on macOS Catalina or newer. If not, you can do it through iTunes (installed on macOS or PC) without much trouble.
Here’s the process you should follow to do it.
- Disconnect HDMI cables that are connected at the back of the Apple TV.
- Connect your Apple TV and a PC with a Micro-USB cable or USB-C cable based on the model.
- If it’s an HD or 3rd generation version of Apple TV, use a power cable to connect it.
- Open iTunes of Finder, depending on the situation.
- Wait until your Apple TV shows up in the main sidebar. Then, select it and hit “Restore Apple TV.”
- Make sure that you don’t disconnect the device until the process is completed.
1. Why is my Apple TV screen black?
There are several possible reasons for an Apple TV screen to go black. It could be due to HDMI connection problems, power issues, or software glitches.
2. How can I fix an Apple TV black screen?
First, check your HDMI connection to ensure it is secure. Restart your Apple TV and update the software. If the problem persists, try resetting the device’s settings. If none of these steps work, contact Apple Support for further assistance.
3. Do I need to replace my Apple TV if the screen is black?
Not necessarily. The black screen issue can often be resolved through troubleshooting steps like checking connections, restarting the device, and updating the software. If these methods fail, contact Apple Support for guidance.
4. Can a faulty HDMI cable cause an Apple TV black screen?
Yes, a faulty or loose HDMI cable can lead to a black screen on your Apple TV. Ensure that the cable is securely connected to both your Apple TV and your television or display.
5. How often should I update the software on my Apple TV?
It’s recommended to regularly update your Apple TV software to ensure optimal performance and compatibility. Check for software updates periodically and install them as they become available.
Encountering a black screen on your Apple TV can be frustrating, but it doesn’t have to be a permanent issue. By following the troubleshooting steps outlined in this article, you can often resolve the problem and get your Apple TV back to normal. Remember to check your HDMI connections, restart the device, update the software, and reset the settings if necessary. If all else fails, reach out to Apple Support for professional assistance.