Are you interested in learning how to connect Apple TV to WiFi without a remote?
Well, the good news is that this article covers the easiest methods of doing it. You don’t have to be a pro technician to put these methods into practice.
Set Up Apple TV Without Remote
First, you should connect the Apple TV in question to a router. Make sure that you use an ethernet cable to do that.
Then, open the “Apple TV Remote” app on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch.
- Select “Settings” and choose “Remotes & Devices.”
- Select “Learn Remote.”
- With any Infrared remote, you will be able to follow the instructions displayed onscreen.
- Then, you can pair the remote controller.
- After that, you can use that remote to connect to WiFi without any trouble.
Besides, are you looking for some solutions on how to mirror iPhone to TV without Apple TV? If so, we have come up with different methods to resolve it.
This Method Requires Access to a Couple of Things, Though!
This specific method works perfectly for those who wonder how to set up Apple TV without a remote.
By the way, let’s figure out how to charge the Apple TV remote.
However, as you can understand, it requires access to some stuff mentioned below.
- An ethernet cable
- An iOS device (iPad, iPod Touch, or iPhone) that has the app called “Apple TV Remote.”
- Any remote control that works based on Infrared technology. For instance, a remote used for a DVD player, standard TV, etc.
- You should be able to access a WiFi router.
You won’t be able to use this setup if you don’t have all of these components. If that is the case, try the next solution. Can you access all four? Then, you may begin by plugging in the respective Apple TV to the WIFI router through an ethernet connection.
After connecting the devices as mentioned above, you should go ahead and turn the TV on. Then, wait until you see the Apple TV loading screen. But what if you don’t see any TV input? In that case, use the input/source option on the TV and navigate to HDMI.
After that, open Control Center on your iOS device (iPod Touch, iPad, or iPhone).
- Swipe down if you use an iPhone X or a newer version (or the latest iPad).
- Swipe up if you use an iPhone 8 or older device (with iOS 11 or older).
After opening the control center, follow the steps below.
- Open the app dedicated to Apple TV.
- Tap the option called “Apple TV” found in the available list.
- Enter the passcode (four digits) on your iOS device.
If the app for the Apple TV remote is not found
- Go to “Settings” and select “Control Center.”
- Tap on the “+” icon next to your Apple TV Remote.
- Go to Settings on the remote application and select Remotes and Devices.
- Go to “Learn Remote” on the Apple TV.
- Use the extra Infrared remote and follow the instructions that are displayed on the screen. This will synchronize your remote with the Apple TV and start communicating with it.
- That’s it. You can disconnect the Apple TV from the connected ethernet connection.
Also read: Apple TV Remote App Not Working – 5 Best Solutions!
Use a Bluetooth Keyboard if You Don’t Have an Infrared Remote
Assume that you don’t have an infrared remote but can find all the other items in the above list. In that case, you can address this situation simply by using a Bluetooth-enabled keyboard.
Keep in mind that you can use your laptop as a Bluetooth-enabled keyboard even without a physical keyboard. Typeeto is a fantastic app for anyone with a Macbook or Mac.
This program lets you navigate your Apple TV with your laptop’s keyboard. If you need a Bluetooth keyboard for your laptop, you can find many possibilities by searching the term.
Below is how to set up Apple TV without a remote with this workaround.
- First, you should activate the pairing mode of your Bluetooth keyboard.
- Once you have done that, you should go to “Settings” and select “Remotes & Devices.” Then, select “Bluetooth.” The Apple TV should start searching for Bluetooth keyboards.
- Now, select the keyboard from the list.
- After that, you should enter the code (it has four digits).
- Now, the keyboard should appear as one of the “My Devices.”
- Use the keyboard so you can connect your Apple TV to your WiFi connection.
And that’s how to set up Apple TV without a remote if you don’t have an infrared remote.
Try to Use a Remote of a Smart TV
Assume that you don’t necessarily have all you need to complete the previous steps. In that case, you should always move on to this alternative. Although there is a chance it won’t work, it’s so simple to do that it’s certainly worth a shot.
Locate the smart TV’s remote control if you use Apple TV with your smart TV. When you find it, launch Apple TV through your smart TV. After that, you should see if its remote works with it with no modifications.
Using the directional arrows on your smart TV remote will be enough in general. With that approach, you can go to the settings page of the WiFi network.
When an iPhone is connected to the same network, you can start using the app for Apple TV Remote. And that’s how to set up Apple TV without a remote using a smart TV remote.
Rename Your iOS Device and Connect It to the Hotspot
Alternatively, you might try giving your iOS device the same name as your home network’s WiFi name. By doing so, your Apple TV will “recognize” the respective network.
Then, it will link to the same network automatically whenever your device’s hotspot is activated.
Here’s How to Rename the Apple Device
- First, you should go to “Settings.”
- Select “General.”
- Select “About.”
- Then, choose “Name.”
- After that, you should rename the iOS device to the same name, just like your WiFi network.
- Then, you should access the Apple TV through the Apple TV by following the path mentioned below.
- Go to “Settings” and select “Remotes & Devices.”
- Go to “Learn Remote.”
- Get the spare remote and follow the instructions displayed online. This will help you recognize your IR remotes. It will get synchronized correctly, so that’s how to connect Apple TV to WiFi without a remote.
Change the SSID and the Password of Your New WiFi Network
As per this method, you are going to trick your Apple TV. In fact, this method gives the same identity as your existing WiFi network. In this scenario, however, you will need to make adjustments to the new router itself. That will help you establish a new connection.
To be more specific, you should change the SSID as well as the password of your new WiFi router. This should be done to match those of your existing home network. SSID refers to the name of a wireless network.
Important: This specific solution won’t work unless you have admin privileges to your WiFi connection. So, make sure that you gain admin access to your router before proceeding with this.
Now, you should access the settings of your new WiFi router. Please remember that the router configurations can vary based on the brands and models.
After accessing router settings, you should check for Wireless Network Name, SSID, or something similar. Then, you should change the name of the network and its password. Basically, the new SSID and password should be similar to the home WiFi connection.
And as the final step, you should check if the SSID/password changes were successful. To do that, just check the WiFi connection using the following methods based on your device.
For iOS SSID
- Choose “Settings”
- Select “WiFi“
- The network that appears with a check symbol is your SSID.
For macOS SSID
- First, tap on the icon that represents WiFi.
- You will see a list of nearby networks. The one that appears with a check is the SSID you are looking for.
For Windows SSID
- Click on the wireless icon located on the right-hand side of the taskbar.
- Look for the SSID that appears with a check mark.
For Android SSID
- Go to “Settings” from Apps.
- Go to “WiFi.”
- See the list of networks.
- The connected network should appear with the “Connected” sign.
Once a connection is established successfully, go to your Apple TV with the assistance of your Apple Remote App. Then, go to “Settings” and choose “Remotes & Devices.” After that, select “Learn Remote.”
Use the spare remote and follow the instructions provided on the screen to proceed. This will help your Apple TV unit to identify the IR signals emitted through remotes.
Replace the TV Remote if It is Broken
Explained above are methods on how to set up Apple TV without a remote as a temporary solution.
However, if you are looking for a permanent solution, the best approach is to get a new remote. Apple TV remotes can be somewhat expensive. However, purchasing a TV remote is a solid solution.
Can I use my Apple Watch as a remote for Apple TV?
No, the Apple Watch cannot be used as a remote for Apple TV. However, you can use the Apple TV Remote app on your iPhone or iPad.
Can I set up Apple TV without an internet connection?
No, an internet connection is required to set up Apple TV. It allows you to sign in to your Apple ID, download apps, and stream content.
Can I use a universal remote to set up Apple TV?
Yes, if your universal remote supports HDMI-CEC, you can use it to control your Apple TV during the setup process.
What should I do if I can’t connect to my Apple TV using the Apple TV Remote app?
Make sure your iPhone or iPad is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV and try restarting both devices.
How can I control Apple TV without a remote after the initial setup?
Once your Apple TV is set up, you can use the Apple TV Remote app, a compatible third-party remote, or control it using Siri through an iPhone, iPad, or HomePod.
When your Apple remote is broken or lost, you wonder how to connect your Apple TV to WiFi without a remote. The above solutions in our article will help you overcome this matter as temporary fixes. So, until you buy a replacement remote, the above temporary solutions may do the needful.
Do you know other methods to set up Apple TV without a remote? If you do, please let us know. We will share your experience with other readers.