Screen mirroring your iPhone to your Sony TV allows you to view content from your phone on the big screen. This guide covers everything you need to know to set up screen mirroring and get the best experience.
Why Screen Mirror an iPhone to a Sony TV?
Here are some of the key benefits of screen mirroring an iPhone to a Sony TV:
- View photos, videos, movies, gameplay and more in full HD quality on a large screen
- Play games, use apps and surf the web with more immersive experience
- Show presentations, documents, websites to groups easily
- Watch streaming content together without crowding around a small screen
- View vertically shot videos in proper orientation using Sony’s Vertical Mode
- Control playback using Sony TV remote
What You’ll Need
- A compatible iPhone model (iPhone 5 or later)
- Compatible Sony Bravia TV (2013 or newer models)
- Both devices connected to same WiFi network
- Latest iOS and Sony TV firmware updates installed
Check Sony Bravia compatibility for AirPlay here.
Top 4 Ways to Screen Mirror iPhone to Sony TV
1. Using AirPlay
AirPlay is an Apple proprietary protocol that allows you to stream content wirelessly from Apple devices to compatible smart TVs.
Here are the steps to use AirPlay to screen mirror an iPhone to a Sony TV:
- Enable AirPlay on your Sony TV by going to Settings > Network > Home Network > AirPlay.
- Swipe down from top right to open Control Center on your iPhone and tap Screen Mirroring.
- Select your Sony TV from the list.
- Enter the AirPlay Passcode displayed on your Sony TV.
- Accept the connection prompt on your TV.
Your iPhone screen will now be mirrored to the Sony TV. You can also directly AirPlay content like photos, videos and music to the TV from compatible apps.
Sony TVs running the newer Google TV interface require using an app like AirScreen to enable AirPlay reception.
2. With AirScreen App (for Sony Google TVs)
If your Sony TV runs Google TV instead of Sony’s original smart TV interface, you’ll need to install the AirScreen app to allow AirPlay functionality.
Follow these simple steps:
- Install and open the AirScreen app on your Sony Google TV.
- Note down the AirPin code shown.
- Open Control Center on your iPhone and select Screen Mirroring.
- Choose your Sony TV.
- Enter the AirPin code when prompted.
Make sure both devices are on same WiFi network. The app offers additional features like screen recording.
3. Using Mobile Apps
There are a few good mobile apps like AirBeamTV that can help screen mirror your iPhone to Sony TV without using AirPlay:
- AirBeamTV – Easy to use app with screen mirroring, media playback and device/TV control features.
- Google Home – Cast your iPhone’s screen directly from the Google Home app.
- Miracast – Works like AirPlay for Android phones and iPhones. Needs external dongle.
These apps work by installing a client on your phone and receiver/casting software on your TV. Simple select your TV as the casting target from your iPhone. May require paid subscriptions.
4. With Lightning Digital AV Adapter
You can mirror your iPhone’s screen to your Sony TV using a Lightning to HDMI adapter cable. This mirrors everything on your iPhone unlike AirPlay.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Connect Lightning Digital AV adapter to your iPhone charging port.
- Use an HDMI cable to link adapter to Sony TV’s HDMI port.
- Connect both devices to power.
- Select the correct HDMI input on your Sony TV.
This wired method delivers very low latency screen mirroring without any loss in quality. However, your iPhone must be close to the TV.
Tips for Better Screen Mirroring Experience
Follow these tips to enhance your experience of screen mirroring an iPhone to a Sony TV:
- Update your iPhone and Sony TV to the latest firmware versions for best compatibility.
- Use strong WiFi signals preferably in 5GHz band for glitch-free mirroring over AirPlay.
- Select screen zoom and vertical orientation settings on TV for optimal viewing.
- Close background apps on iPhone to allocate max resources for mirroring.
- Mirror appropriate vertical/horizontal videos per screen orientation.
- Try wired HDMI connection via adapter for lag-free gaming/videos.
- Turn on Do Not Disturb mode on iPhone to avoid notifications interrupting your viewing.
Cool Things You Can Do with Screen Mirroring
Here are some fun, practical or productive ways you can utilize iPhone to Sony TV screen mirroring:
- Turn your big screen into a dynamic photo frame showcasing iPhone images
- Watch latest shows and movies across streaming apps on the superior TV display
- Play games ranging from Asphalt 9 Legends to Call of Duty Mobile with immersive experience
- Give professional presentations directly from your iPhone
- Let kids enjoy safe YouTube/Netflix viewing under supervision
- View recipes hands-free while cooking in the kitchen
- Creatively place your phone anywhere directed to the TV
- Demo holiday photos and videos to larger gatherings
Try Samsung Smart View for screen mirroring Samsung devices like Galaxy phones. HomePod and Apple TV also allow TV screen mirroring via AirPlay.
Troubleshooting Guide: Screen Mirroring Not Working?
Here are some handy troubleshooting tips if you face issues getting your iPhone to screen mirror successfully to your Sony TV:
TV Not Powering On
If your Sony TV is not turning on properly or going into standby mode, this will prevent the screen mirroring function from working. Refer to this guide on fixes for Sony TV not turning on and troubleshoot the power issue first.
Can’t Find TV in Screen Mirroring List
- Check compatibility for AirPlay support on your Sony model. Update TV software if needed.
- Connect both devices to same WiFi network (2.4GHz/5GHz band).
- Reboot the Sony TV and iPhone.
- On iPhones running iOS 10 and up, ensure AirPlay is enabled in Control Center > Screen Mirroring.
- If your Sony TV has Google TV, try AirScreen app instead of AirPlay.
AirPlay Disconnecting or Buffering
- Ensure your WiFi router and ISP plan provides strong, uninterrupted bandwidth.
- Move iPhone and Sony TV closer to the WiFi router/access point.
- Close all background apps and restart iPhone before screen mirroring.
Video Quality Loss Over AirPlay
- Compressed lossy streaming like Netflix won’t mirror in full quality over AirPlay.
- For best results, play locally stored HD/4K videos using VLC or MX Player apps.
- Try wired HDMI connection for zero quality loss full mirroring.
Lag/High Latency in Screen Mirroring
- Gaming/video apps often have latency over AirPlay. Use wired HDMI adapter instead.
- If using WiFi, move closer to the wireless router for stronger signals. Upgrade router if needed.
- Reduce heavy usage by other devices on same network during screen mirroring.
Check Sony’s guide on troubleshooting AirPlay issues for more help.
Key Takeaways: Mirroring iPhone to Sony TV
- Screen mirroring allows viewing iPhone content on your Sony TV’s big screen for better experience
- iPhone 5 onwards work for screen mirroring. Most 2013 and newer Sony Bravia models are compatible.
- You can mirror via AirPlay, mobile apps or wired HDMI adapter depending on TV model
- Optimize WiFi connectivity for wireless mirroring to avoid glitches
- Update iPhone iOS and Sony TV firmware to latest versions for robust performance
- For gaming/video playback with zero lag, use a wired Lightning HDMI adapter
Now you can seamlessly mirror everything from mobile games to movies from your iPhone to Sony TV for enjoyment on the big screen!
Frequently Asked Questions
What iPhones support screen mirroring to Sony TV?
Most iPhones from iPhone 5 onwards running at least iOS 11 can screen mirror to a compatible Sony TV model via AirPlay or wireless casting apps and dongles.
Do all Sony TVs support iPhone screen mirroring?
Mainly 2013 and newer Bravia models support AirPlay based wireless screen mirroring from an iPhone. Refer official Sony site for exact device compatibility.
How can I check if my Sony TV model supports AirPlay?
Go to Settings > Network > Home Network > AirPlay on your Sony TV. If you see the AirPlay toggle under options, your TV supports using AirPlay with an iPhone.
Does screen mirroring affect iPhone battery life?
Yes, actively screen mirroring over WiFi causes faster battery drain versus normal usage. So ensure your iPhone is sufficiently charged or plugged in while casting.
Can I mirror my iPhone while Sony TV is being used for cable/streaming?
Yes, you can activate screen mirroring to overlay and display your iPhone’s screen/app on top of cable or streaming content playing in the background.
Screen mirroring brings your favorite iPhone apps, videos, photos and memories right up onto the big screen provided by your Sony TV for more immersive consumption. With native AirPlay support on 2013 onward Bravia models combined with the options of third party apps and wired HDMI, now you can enjoy maximized iOS experiences from gaming to binge watching your iPhone content conveniently on your Sony TV.
So pick your preferred screen mirroring method, grab some popcorn and get ready to leverage the best aspects of your iPhone and Sony TV in harmony!