Sony televisions are known for their high-quality display and innovative technology. However, they can be very temperamental when it comes to turning on.
This can happen for several reasons, including outdated software or hardware issues. Fortunately, you can try several simple fixes before calling a professional.
Here, you will learn why the Sony TV won’t turn on. And you will also be introduced to some effective fixes to solve the issue. So, read this article to know more.
Reasons Why Your Sony TV is Not Turning On
If your Sony TV is not turning on, here are a few reasons why this could happen.
Reason 1. Dusty and Jammed TV Vents
Dust and debris are the most common reasons a TV shuts off. Dust can build up in the vents, blocking airflow and causing overheating.
Overheating could be caused by high power consumption. That is, too many devices are connected to one outlet.
Reason 2. Outdated TV Software
If you’re using an old Sony TV that hasn’t been updated in a while, the problem might be with the software. This can happen if your TV’s software isn’t compatible with its hardware or remote controls.
If your TV has an outdated Android version installed, this may also be why your Sony TV won’t turn on. If so, you’ll need to update the device’s operating system (OS) before being able to use it again.
Reason 3. A Fuse in Your TV’s Hardware / Circuitry
If your Sony TV doesn’t turn on, it may be because of a blown fuse. To find out if this is the case, look for the power button on your remote or at the back of your TV.
Pressing this button will turn on either a red or green light (depending on your LED type). If there is no response to this button, you need to check if there are any blown fuses in your hardware/ circuitry.
Contact Sony customer service if you don’t know where they are located. And provide them with your model number. So they can provide you with specific instructions regarding how to access them.
Reason 4. Random Bugs
If your Sony TV doesn’t turn on, it might be due to a random bug. Then, there are two things you can try:
- Reboot the TV using the remote control or power button on the back of it. This may fix the problem temporarily. But if it reoccurs regularly, then we recommend having a technician check out your device for more severe issues.
- Resetting your TV to factory settings is also an option since it wipes away any corrupt files that may be causing these issues. To do so:
- Please turn off your TV by holding its power button for several seconds. Do this until its screen goes black or becomes unresponsive (known as “standby“).
- Once done, this will ensure that everything has shut off before removing any cables from ports like HDMI or USB ports, etc…
Reason 5. The TV is Not Connected Properly
Check to ensure it is appropriately connected. To do this:
- Make sure the cables are securely plugged in. Check that no jacks are loose or bent, as this can cause a connection problem.
- If any cables are damaged or broken, replace them with new ones. If they’re not available, ask an electronics store employee to help find replacement parts.
- If you have more than one device connected to your TV, make sure each device is powered up. And ensure that they are connected securely to the same outlet as your Sony TV using an HDMI cable.
- Check if any lights on either side of your remote control point towards “Input” or “Source.” If they’re lit up red instead of green or blue, try pressing both buttons simultaneously until they change color again. This will hopefully solve any issues with power sources being switched off accidentally.
Reason 6. System Error
If your Sony TV won’t turn on and you’ve tried the troubleshooting steps above, the issue may not be with your TV. The problem could be with the software that powers it.
In this case, updating the software on your television will fix it. Before doing this, make sure to back up any critical content or data stored in your home theatre system.
Thus, in case something goes wrong when updating, you won’t lose anything.
Reason 7. Your TV is Overheating
If your TV is overheating, there are several ways to fix it. First, check if the vents are blocked by dust or anything else that might be causing a blockage.
If this turns out to be the case, remove whatever is blocking it. And let it cool down for several hours before turning on your TV again.
Secondly, check if the TV has been left on for too long without being turned off regularly due to some issues in its cooling system or another reason.
You may also notice a slight discoloration in areas around these vents. And this could indicate overheating.
So please take note of any such discolorations when trying different solutions yourself today!
Reason 8. The Wrong Input Source is Configured on Your TV
It’s the improper input source for your TV. Most of the time, this can be resolved by just making sure the input source is accurate.
If it is, check the connection to the TV. If that’s right, check the input source on your remote and any buttons available around or on the TV itself.
Methods to Fix the Issue of Sony TV Won’t Turn On
There are several methods to fix the issue of the Sony TV won’t turn on. These include:
1. Power Reset
The first thing to try is a power reset. This is a common fix for most electronic devices and can be done by anyone. You’ll simply need to unplug your device from the wall or router and then plug it back in.
If you don’t see any lights on the device after doing this, wait 30 seconds before trying again. Still, if your Sony TV won’t turn on, proceed to our next troubleshooting step!
2. Try Another Power Source
The next step is to try using a different power source. Open your TV, and verify that all the wires are correctly connected.
If they are not, you have to check the connection points on the back of the TV and ensure they are connected well.
Once you have ensured there is no damage to any wires or connections, try using another cord. Or try plugging it into another outlet in your home.
If this works, you know that it is not an issue with your TV’s internal wiring or its power source.
3. Switch to the Correct TV Input
If your Sony TV is not turning on, first, please check if it’s on the correct input source. The easiest way to do this is with a remote control.
If you can’t access a remote control or don’t have one, there are other ways of doing the same thing:
- Check the buttons on the device itself. Most TVs will have at least one button that turns it on and off. Some may also have separate buttons for changing inputs. You can use these buttons instead of using an external remote control.
- Use your smartphone as an alternative source for changing inputs if you don’t want to buy another device just for switching sources. This might be especially helpful if all of your devices are connected via HDMI cables. Because HDMI ports often share power through those cables. This means that keeping one plugged in can save energy!
4. Replace the Cable
If you use an HDMI cable to connect your TV to the source device, make sure it’s plugged into the correct port.
If your TV has multiple HDMI ports, try switching cables and the ports they are plugged into.
If you are using an optical audio cable to connect your TV and source device, check if this cable is properly connected at both ends. Also, check if there’s any damage or breakage in this connection.
You can also try connecting a different type of connecting cord to see if that works better than what you currently use.
5. Get the TV Fixed by an Expert
If you’re unsure how to fix it or are just looking for a second opinion, take your TV to an expert. Suppose you take it to where you bought it, and they can’t help you either.
In that case, make sure to ask them about getting a refund for a broken TV. You can try to do this so that at least some of your money will be returned.
1. How long does it take to reset a Sony TV?
The time required to reset a Sony TV can vary depending on the model and specific instructions provided in the user manual. Generally, the process should take a few minutes.
2. Can a power surge damage my Sony TV?
Yes, power surges can potentially damage electronic devices, including TVs. It is recommended to use surge protectors or power conditioners to safeguard your TV from power-related issues.
3. What should I do if the troubleshooting steps don’t work?
If the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this article do not resolve the issue, it is advisable to contact Sony support for further assistance. They can provide specialized guidance based on your specific situation.
4. Are there any common issues with Sony TVs not turning on?
While the causes can vary, some common issues associated with Sony TVs not turning on include power supply problems, remote control issues, and faulty hardware components.
5. How can I prevent power-related problems with my Sony TV?
To prevent power-related problems, ensure that your Sony TV is connected to a stable power source and use surge protectors or power conditioners. Regularly update the TV’s software to benefit from bug fixes and improvements that enhance power and functionality.
Now, you know several reasons why your Sony TV won’t turn on.
Have you tried the above troubleshooting steps and still cannot get your Sony TV to turn on? If so, refer to the manufacturer’s instruction manual for more info on troubleshooting this problem.