Updating your LG smart TV firmware is an important part of maintaining performance, fixing bugs, enhancing features and improving security. This comprehensive guide will teach you everything you need to know.
What is Firmware?
Firmware is low-level software that controls your LG TV’s hardware and provides the foundation for higher level apps and interfaces to run on.
Keeping your firmware up-to-date ensures you have the latest features, security enhancements, bug fixes and efficiency improvements.
Why You Should Update LG TV Firmware
Here are some of the key reasons to regularly check and install LG TV firmware updates:
- Enhanced Features – Updates often add new apps, capabilities and integrations.
- Security – Patches vulnerabilities to prevent hacking or data theft.
- Bug Fixes – Squashes annoying glitches with playback, apps crashing or remote responsiveness.
- Performance – Boosts speed, lagging, operation smoothness and navigation.
- Compatibility – Allows connectivity with newer external devices and HDMI inputs.
Failing to update leaves you susceptible to problems down the road like apps crashing frequently or difficulties connecting new devices like the best TV remotes for YouTube TV.
How to Update LG TV Firmware
You have two options when updating your LG TV firmware:
1. Automatic Updates
This is the easiest method. Your LG TV will automatically check for the latest firmware and prompt you to install updates as they become available.
- Open Settings > All Settings > Support > Software Update > AUTO UPDATE > On
You may need to navigate to General > About This TV > Software Update depending on your LG webOS version.
Once enabled, the update will happen automatically in the background. Just be sure to power cycle your TV after the install.
One downside is that automatic updates can occasionally cause new issues, like apps not functioning or lost settings. Be prepared to troubleshoot or factory reset if your LG TV starts showing a black screen after an update.
2. Manual Updates
The manual method involves downloading the firmware file from LG’s website and installing it directly via USB stick.
This gives you more control but also requires more effort. You’ll need:
- USB stick with 1GB+ free space
- Computer with internet access
- LG TV model number
To manually update LG TV firmware:
- Find your exact LG TV model at LG’s support site
- Download firmware file
- Extract zip folder
- Copy BIN file into LG_DTV folder on USB stick
- Insert into TV’s USB port
- Select Start/Install update
- Power cycle TV after completion
Be sure to carefully follow LG’s step-by-step process for your specific model.
How Often Should Firmware Be Updated?
Ideally you should install new firmware updates as soon as they become available, usually every few months. Updates are released on an as-needed basis rather than a fixed schedule.
Enabling automatic updates will ensure you never miss an important release. Just be patient as some models can take longer to receive the latest upgrades.
At minimum check manually and install any available updates at least 2-3 times per year.
Tips for Updating LG TV Firmware
Follow these best practices when installing LG TV firmware:
- Don’t install during a storm – power fluctuations can corrupt.
- Use wired internet for faster, more reliable downloads.
- Delete apps/media if low on storage space.
- Backup settings if they will be reset after the update.
- Power cycle TV after installation finishes.
- Factory reset if experiencing issues after updating.
Be patient as updates take 10-20 minutes. Do not power off TV during the process.
Updating takes just a few minutes and is crucial for getting timely security patches, fixes for bugs causing Hulu connection issues, newest apps and features, and better performance with stability fixes to prevent frequent LG TV flickering.
Follow our step-by-step walkthroughs to seamlessly update firmware on your LG TV. Taking a few minutes just twice a year goes a long way towards extending the lifespan!
- Firmware is critical low-level software that controls hardware and provides core functionalities.
- Updates enhance features, security, performance and compatibility.
- LG TVs can update automatically or manually via USB stick.
- Check for latest firmware every 2-3 months at minimum.
- Carefully follow all steps and best practices for smooth installation.
How do I enable automatic firmware updates?
Open Settings > All Settings > Support > Software Update > Auto Update > On.
Why does my LG TV say “No Signal” after updating?
Try power cycling the TV and devices/inputs connected to it. Also factory reset if issues persist.
Is updating the firmware safe? Does it delete apps or settings?
Updating via LG’s official firmware is completely safe and preserves your apps and settings in most cases. But back up important data just in case and be prepared to factory reset if major issues arise.
How long does an LG TV firmware update take?
The majority of updates take between 10-20 minutes to download and install. Do not power off or unplug the TV during this process.
My LG TV is stuck on the update screen for over 1 hour, what should I do?
First, continue waiting as some updates can take longer than an hour. If it does not progress after 90 minutes, try manually power cycling the TV. If the update still does not complete, you may need to factory reset.